This role is on Saturdays and Sundays. One weekend working mornings (8am-4pm) and the other weekend working evenings (4pm-11pm).
At Ashford Place, we run a project which is unique in London, a direct access assessment centre that is open 24/7, 365 days a year. Its goal is to provide emergency accommodation for up to 30 rough sleepers a night, providing them with the support needed to move into long term accommodation and address their underlying needs.
We are moving into our 3rd year, and in that time have provided emergency accommodation for over 400 homeless people. They have come from every corner of the planet, with so many different stories and journeys, but the same ambition: To live a better and more prosperous life.
We are looking for a committed, empathetic, imaginative and computer literate individual who can provide support for our clients at various shifts.
During that time, you will have to ensure that the centre is a calm and ordered environment, and during particular shifts provide casework to the clients.
Perhaps you are looking to start a career in this field, or are just passionate about providing a service to this client group? Whatever the reason, this is an utterly invaluable experience.
For an experience of diversity, there is no better place in the UK, as we have people from the all over the world including Eastern Europeans, Africans, South East Asians, and recent refugees from the conflicts in Syria, Eritrea, and Sudan. The people you meet, the stories they will tell, the peace you will get from the environment and the GOOD you will feel in yourself for doing this, none of it can be overstated enough.
Responsibilities of the support worker include:
- Being the primary support for clients at set shifts.
- Ensuring that reception is attended to and that only those who are booked in are admitted to the centre.
- From time to time, undertaking work with clients, including setting up Housing Benefit and other benefits, securing grants and loans, searching for housing.
- Ensuring that the centre is an active and enjoyable place for clients, making sure that existing activities take place and proposing new ones.
- Showing empathy and resolving conflict in a high-pressure environment.
- Providing the line manager with a comprehensive report of maintenance work required in the building.
- Maintaining an up to date checklist of a bed spaces and lockers, allocating them to new clients when appropriate.
- Undertake ongoing professional development, attending training that is deemed necessary following supervision and appraisal.
- Supervision of volunteers.
- Actively promote and uphold Ashford Place’s Code of Conduct, Values, priorities and customer service standards.
- Implement Ashford Place’s Equal Opportunities policies and to work actively to overcome discrimination on grounds of race, sex, disability, sexuality or status within Ashford Place’s service. To take responsibility appropriate to the post for tackling racism and promoting good race, ethnic and community relations.
- Ensure all appropriate aspects of health and safety are applied in respect of the staff group i.e. lone working policy, outreach risk assessments etc.
- The post holder will be required to undertake any other duties to meet the demands of the service as required within the grade and competence of the post.
The post holder is required to hold a valid Enhanced Disclosure from the DBS.
To express your interest please email John Doocey at email@example.com with your CV and we'll send you an application pack.
Closing date: 21 July 2018 23:30